Sunday, June 12, 2011

Squirrel alarm clock

Animals are loud here. You know how squirrels chatter at you like they are scolding you for having the nerve to be a human being? There was one outside my window this morning at 5:30 (it is light out) chattering away at megaphonic volume (the dial goes to 11 here - see Spinal Tap) and I'm sort of half ignoring it/half not (because it is imPOSSible to not notice. Lying there at least pretending to ignore it when suddenly, I swear this squirrel with trumpet lips cranks it to 12, loses all politeness and yells "get the f*** up, NOW" (in squirrelese of course, which I no hablo muy bien). Maybe I should give him the benefit of the doubt on that translation. Maybe I should give HER the benefit of the doubt (if that is yet another stupid human being assumption). Maybe she just thought I had earplugs in my ears (which most sane people who want to sleep do here). But, no. I could sleep through almost anything (except techno music...and I guess costa rican trumpet lipped squirrels). I heard just fine. I just didn't realize she was talking to ME. I got up and said "Whaaa?" in my mind. She seemed to hear that and went on her way. Mission accomplished. It's very nice here at 5:30am.
That would be a nice tidy ending to this, but since Steve is also keeping track of our adventure by reading this blog, I have to tell the truth (he was there), I did drift back to sleep again actually.

No comments:

Post a Comment