Sunday, June 26, 2011

Another in a long line of little things that make me laugh...

We went back to Playa Guiones today. This time it took only an hour to go the 24 km. We're getting the hang of this. We had only a few hours before we had to get back on the bus, and decided to rent surf boards from Cacho's for $5 each. That's for 2 hours.  I would pay that just to look cool carrying a surfboard down the beach!. Great deal!  It was low tide and the waves were choppy and confused. Coming in strong and from all different directions. We both strutted our cocky selves into the water. Steve was great. He actually caught some waves. It was pretty brutal trying to paddle out beyond the angry breakers, but he did it. He conquered all. The waves took revenge though, and carried him waaay, waaaaaaaaay down the beach. I, on the other hand, went in for a few ridiculous slammings and then got out to look for Steve. He was nowhere, man. I picked up my 8'6" board (don't laugh, at least it's shorter than the 9'2" I started out with) and headed down the beach looking for my surfer dude husband. It was so weird because when i started out walking, there were some kids playing in the waves maybe 50 meters behind me. As I walked quickly down the beach with growing angst about where in the world Steve was, I would turn around occasionally in case he was behind me and the kids would still be 50 meters away. Weird twilight zone feeling. The current was just hauling everyone with it as fast as I could walk. Ahaha! I'm going to sit down now. My fingers were getting numb from carrying this surfboard down the beach (but I WAS looking cool). Finally, I saw him. It's funny how you can recognize someone you know even when they are just a dot on the horizon. There he was, a dot coming out of the water way out of detail discriminating view, and I knew it was him. I exhaled. It was walking toward me, and gradually the blue and yellow triangles of its board shorts became recognizable. And then the hair and the long-legged cool-dude strolling motion that we all recognize as undeniable Steve-ness.
But, that's not what made me laugh. What made me laugh was our lunch experience. There we were sitting in Costa Rica (spanish, ?Verdad?) in a restaurant called Cafe Paris (french, n'est pas), eating Biryani (an Indian rice dish) on a hamburger bun (God bless America). This was on the menu! I could not resist. This multi-cultural lunch experience gave me yet another good reeeson to laugh my head off in front of strangers (or even just in front of my incredible and incredulous husband).
I was really glad that the ocean gave Steve back to me today. I know it was hard, and I was about to say "But, I had him first", but really, the Pacific had him long before I did.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's time for you to go to some scrumptious foreign land again, Meret, so we can read about it through your lens. You are REALLY GOOD at this!! More, please... xo, Sharon B.

    ReplyDelete